VMware Software Engineer (Returnship) - Opportunity for Working Remotely in Indianapolis, Indiana
The Path Forward Return to Work program at VMware is an 18-week paid returnship for experienced professionals returning to the workforce after taking time off for caregiving. The program is open to individuals who have at least 5 years of professional experience and have been out of the paid workforce for at least 2 years to focus on caring for a child or other dependent. If you meet these criteria, we welcome you to apply. Applicants are not limited to the locations listed. Candidates may apply from anywhere within the US.
The Elevator Pitch: Why would I enjoy this new opportunity?
Ready to build? So are we. Come join VMware’s Knative OSS team. We’re focused on providing Kubernetes abstractions that speak to application developers. We build the foundational developer component of Modern Applications Business Unit (MAPBU)’s Tanzu portfolio to help customers build, run, and manage their most important applications.
Knative simplifies running serverless containers by taking care of “boring but difficult” details such as networking, autoscaling (even to zero) and revision tracking, allowing developers to focus on business needs. Additionally, Knative provides universal subscription, delivery and management of events, enabling developers to declaratively manage complex event-driven workloads.
We care deeply about;
· building the right thing: our team has a deep expertise in building components on Kubernetes and includes founding members of the Knative project
· open-source software: our team holds several leadership positions in the Knative community
While focused on the upstream OSS community, we also collaborate with VMware product and infrastructure teams to bring the benefits of Knative to VMware and VMware’s customers.
Success in the Role: What are the performance goals over the 18-week returnship you will work towards completing?
· Within the first 4 weeks, hit the ground running. Get to know Knative project. Develop a high-level understanding of Knative’s technical domain & community structure and their scope. Begin operating as a part the Knative OSS community.
· Within the first 12 weeks, continue to deepen your relationships in the community and the domain. Develop a lower level understanding of at least one Working Group under Knative. Contribute to the technical direction and execution of the Working Group. Begin operating as part of the community.
· Within the 18 weeks, know the community and the Knative project. Understand our users and their needs. Lead feature development with minimum supervision. Well on the path to becoming an approver in at least one Working Group. Provide stability to the team.
What type of work will you be doing? What assignments, requirements, or skills will you be performing regularly?
· Closely collaborate with team & community to define and scope work.
· Take the lead in execution & delivery – contributing code (golang), tests (unit, integration, e2e) and documentation.
· Work in public (such as Slack, GitHub) due to open-source nature of the project.
· Maintain and grow the Knative open-source community by responding to questions, triaging issues, reviewing pull requests, and (optionally) presenting talks/demos.
· Proactively identify areas of improvement within the community, codebase, or team practices. Propose and drive experiments.
What is the structure and culture of the team like?
The Knative OSS currently has 10 members (engineers, product manager, designer and technical writers) and is still growing. The team is distributed spanning from London, UK to Seattle, Washington and a few places in between. Given our distributed nature, we prefer candidates who are comfortable working fully remote and have strong communication skills as we tend to leverage asynchronous means of collaboration.
Culturally, the team is focused on user value, innovation, execution, growth and kindness. We believe sustainable pace and psychological safety foster creativity and a productive work environment. We strive to focus on what is right for the users and optimize for the overall project rather than a subcomponent.
Category : University and Recent Grads
Full Time/ Part Time: Full Time
Posted Date: 2021-05-24
VMware Company Overview: At VMware, we believe that software has the power to unlock new opportunities for people and our planet. We look beyond the barriers of compromise to engineer new ways to make technologies work together seamlessly. Our cloud, mobility, and security software form a flexible, consistent digital foundation for securely delivering the apps, services and experiences that are transforming business innovation around the globe. At the core of what we do are our people who deeply value execution, passion, integrity, customers, and community. Shape what’s possible today at http://careers.vmware.com.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement: VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. Vmware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law.
- VMware Jobs